Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ten Little Chicks- Update

Past week 3 all our chickens just kept growing and growing. The hen house complete they have all moved outside. We split the group up and sent 4 of the Sussex chicks with my mother so ours would settle into their group in their own house.

They did so swimmingly. Adorably. We've enjoyed these past couple of weeks with a quiet house and a group of clucking cuteness in the backyard.

I've still got to finish painting their run as the laytex paint we used just wasn't doing the job. I'll explain that more in my how we built the hen house post.  It turned out very cute.

Tonight however, we lost one of our flock.

 We'd set up a temporary fencing of chicken wire and garden posts to  keep them in and so I've been having to stay outside when the dogs do because our littlest dog figured out how to squeeze under the fence (however she can't figure out how to get back out...) and I did not want any one to get themselves in trouble or have an accident. This also means that if I'm inside working, the dogs can't be outside protecting the birds and they have no rooster as (luck I suppose) we only managed to pick one boy out of all ten of those little fuzzy cuties and he went with my mom.

So tonight, I went outside to close the door on the coop and found Lazy Bones, the little Brahma bantam girl. She'd been bitten by something and was just gone. LB had become one of our favorites as she was a spunky little girl who kept trying to show she was boss. The best we can figure is that something in our neighborhood (we've got raccoon and plenty of stray cats) caught them off guard. Everyone else was huddled at the back of their house where as they normally sleep right inside the door.

 Thankfully we got to let the boys say goodbye to LB and that the bird was in decent enough shape to be seen by them. Lots of feathers saved for them to keep in their journals.

I promise to post pictures of our little but steady growing flock soon as well as a post with our coop building fun. 

No comments: