Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chick Days - by Jenna Woginrich

Chick Days
An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatchlings to Laying Hens
By Jenna Woginrich, author of Made from Scratch




Honestly this was a quick grab for me at the farm store because it was the first book I picked up that had specific info on the subject I was in the store for, Chicks! 

I was looking for something that had more info on raising chickens than the basic chapters in the other books I have on farming. Most of those touch on the vastness of the subject and not the daily ins and outs of owning a flock.

This book has it all as far as I’ve found so far. It’s got wonderful pictures showing stages of growth, breaks things down from the first week (day by day) to the week by week growth of your flock until your settled into owning chickens.

This isn't just written for those who have been at the business of raising chickens for years, but for anyone interested in owning either a backyard flock or a larger group of hens on a couple of acres. It’s wonderful in that it relates to the needs of chickens as well as the joys of owning them. It’s defiantly earned its place on my shelf of farm info. I'll be turning the pages often as my 10 little chickens grow from their small fuzzy selves into the fine feathered friends I cannot wait to see. 


* I'll be featuring the books we have picked up along the way to share what composes our farm bookshelf. These can all be found along the sidebar under "Favored Reads" and will be updated as often as we pick up a new book on any of the subjects we cover here on the blog. 

No comments: